Julie Riser on Barn Quilts of Harford County Facebook Page Visit Harford announces a new App designed to engage visitors and residents in the rich culture and history of Harford County through a Passport to the Barn Quilt Trail. Just click “Passport” in the FREE Destination Harford app. “We’re spotlighting the historic barns, family homesteads and public spaces that are the backdrops for these rich, colorful, painted quilt designs,” says Greg Pizzuto, executive director of Visit Harford. “Whether you’re a “stay-cation” resident or a vacationer in Maryland, this passport makes it effortless and fun to celebrate the beauty, history, agriculture and small businesses of this county.” The trail includes a collection of quilts painted on barns and buildings owned by local farmers. Visitors can also find dairies, museums, farm markets, restaurants and nature environments on the trail. The app provides a “passport” that encourages users to visit each barn quilt location and post a “selfie” taken in front of the quilt. Visit two quilts, and become a novice. To be eligible to win prizes, participants [...]
About HCBarnQuiltsThis author has not yet filled in any details.
So far HCBarnQuilts has created 20 blog entries.
Location: 1274 West Jarrettsville Road Forest Hill, MD 21050 See on map Interactive Map Website: https://www.threeoaksfarmalpacas.com/ Quilt Pattern name: The Golden Rule Colors: Black, Gold and Celery Green Owner(s) Name: Pam and Ken Purce Artist(s) Name: Pam Purce and Joan Hayden Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: Just off the road at 1274 West Jarrettsville Road, near the corner of Phillips Mill Rd. Pam’s grandparents, Dan and Mary Ensor, bought the family farm in 1949. Mary was a teacher and Dan grew corn and other vegetables as well as raised beef cattle. Pam and her husband Ken purchased the land in 2013. From the barn square you can see the original main house which dates back to the late 1800’s (yellow in color) in the distance as well as the metal pole barn built by Pam’s Grandfather. Corn, hay, hops and more are currently grown on the farm. Pam and Ken have turned the farm into an agricultural education destination for young and old mixing teaching and farming in line with Pam’s grandparent’s passions. [...]
Location: 864 Smith Lane Fallston, MD 21047 See on map Interactive Map Quilt Pattern name: Lost Geese Colors: Pink, Light Blue and Dark Blue Owner(s) Name: Harford County Government - Parks and Recreation Artist(s) Name: Designer - Kathy Burley; Painters - multiple Harford County Parks and Recreation staff and family Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: On the green barn located past the playground and past the house. Originally owned by Samuel Calwell, a prominent local citizen and signer of the Bush Declaration, this farm has been farmed since the late 1600’s. Purchased by Harford County, it is now home to many recreational opportunities including a trail head of the Ma & Pa Trail, Annie’s Playground, soccer and lacrosse fields, a climbing wall and ropes course, and a bike course. Much of the property’s 240 acres remains leased to crop farmers.
Location: 401 Oakington Road Havre de Grace, MD 21078 See on map Interactive Map Website: http://www.swanharborfarm.org/ Quilt Pattern name: Paul Revere's Ride Colors: Red, White and Blue Owner(s) Name: Harford County Government - Parks and Recreation Artist(s) Name: Painted by Parks and Recreation staff and volunteers Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: Red Barn in the auxiliary parking lot facing Maryland Agricultural Education Foundation building Situated on over five hundred acres, Swan Harbor Farm, a stately home on the Chesapeake Bay, boasts a long and proud history. In the 1700’s, the home was owned by several generations of the Giles family. The most significant owner, however, was John Adlum. Mr. Adlum purchased the farm from Thomas Giles in 1797. From Swan Harbor Farm, John Adlum pioneered wine making in Maryland. In 1809, Mr. Adlum sent a bottle of his fine burgundy to his good friend, Thomas Jefferson. Mr. Jefferson was so impressed with the quality of the wine that he ordered 165 cuttings from Adlum’s vines to be planted at Monticello. After the Adlum era [...]
Location: 1617 Eden Mill Rd, Pylesville, MD 21132 See on map Interactive Map Quilt Pattern name: Mill Wheat Colors: Pale Yellow, Green and White Owner(s) Name: Harford County Government - Parks and Recreation Artist(s) Name: Aimee Dunn Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: On the red barn, facing the nature center and mill parking lot. Nestled in the Deer Creek valley, Eden Mill has stood since approximately 1798. Local farmers brought their wheat, corn, and other grain to the grist mill to be ground into flour, meal, and feed. In 1964, the mill closed its doors due to changing technology and aging equipment. Today, Eden Mill is a mill museum and nature center surrounded by 118 acres of park land! Please take time to “mill around” and see all that Eden Mill has to offer!
Location: 3525 Conowingo Road, Street, MD 21154 See on Google Interactive Map Website: https://www.harfordcountymd.gov/1655/Agriculture Quilt Pattern name: Harford County Map Colors: Green, Blue, White Owner(s) Name: Harford County Agricultural Center Artist(s) Name: John Knott - Designer, Joan Hayden and family - Painter Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: Parking lot side of the building. This quilt marks the beginning of the Harford County Barn Quilt Trail which takes you to all corners of the county. It is a fitting spot since the Harford County Agricultural Center currently houses the county's agricultural services and serves to interpret its agricultural heritage. Next door is the county’s historic Joesting-Gorsuch House, which the county saved, relocated from a Bel Air golf course and restored in 2016. The home dates back to the 1700s and is considered one of the county’s oldest structures. There are exhibits and artifacts, like farm implements, in the Joesting-Gorsuch House. Tenants in the Ag Center like University of Maryland Extension educate future agricultural leaders through the 4-H program. [...]
Telling about the construction of this Barn Quilt needs to start with the design itself… and that goes back to the beginning of the involvement of Visit Harford with this project. In working with Visit Harford on this project, one of our frequent discussions was a logo for the Trail. After bouncing around many ideas, one design caught our eye. It was an outline of the county, but within the boundaries was a quilt pattern. It was the most perfect design by John Knott. After working with him on color decisions, we had our logo! Fast forward a couple of years when the idea was floated about creating a barn quilt for the new Harford County Ag Center and using that as a starting point for the Trail. After considering a few other designs, it became clear that the one we needed was right in front of us- the logo! Not being a traditional geometric design made it a little more challenging to transfer to two 4’X8’ boards, but we met that challenge and worked in the [...]
Location: 401 Glasgow Rd Street, MD 21154 See on Google Interactive Map Website: www.marthasfarmmarket.com Quilt Pattern name: Sunshine Colors: Owner(s) Name: The Yarrington Family Artist(s) Name: Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: 436 Glasgow Rd Street, MD 21154 A little history! In 1948, when Dad graduated high school, he and my grandparents built a dairy barn and started milking cows. Prior to that, they raised acres and acres of tomatoes. The first milk that left the farm was in milk cans that were transported to a loading dock of the Ma & Pa Railroad, ultimately to be transported to the dairy plant in Baltimore. Fast forward 68 years and 6 generations and we are still in the business. We have 200 head of of dairy and beef cattle and farm 200 acres of crops. Along the way, we have had several fair champions and have won many awards for milk quality and production. Today we have family laborers from 28 to 88 years old. Through it all we have adapted new practices and [...]
Location: 2115 Waverly Drive, Bel Air 21015 See on map Interactive Map Website: www.wilsonsfarmmarket.com Quilt Pattern name: Friendship Star and Carpenter’s Wheel Colors: Red, White and Blue Owner(s) Name: Gregory Wilson and Janelle Vane Artist(s) Name: Janelle Vane and Joan Hayden Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: Directly in the building Wilson’s Farm Market has been a part of the community since 1979 when Greg Wilson began to farm and operate the fruit stand at the old stone house on Route One about 1.5 miles north of our current location. The home farm is located on Forge Hill Road, which he purchased in 1987. This is where most of the vegetables are grown. He raises the balance of the produce at Wilson’s Farm Market on Waverly Drive. The home farm also has 12 acres of orchard and 4 high tunnels for early and late tomato production. We purchased the property on Waverly Drive in 2013. This property had belonged to the Hoopes family, who had an orchard across the street where the church is [...]
Location: 1725 Trappe Church Road Darlington, MD 21034 See on map Interactive Map Website: www.susquehannockwildlife.org Quilt Pattern name: Turtle Colors: Black, Orange, Green, and Grey Owner(s) Name: Susquehannock Wildlife Society, Inc. Artist(s) Name: Actual Location of Barn Quilt on Farm/Building: Door of barn at main Wildlife Center driveway location off Trappe Church Road. Please note: The center is still under construction. Please pull in the driveway and take pictures, but do not enter the property. Susquehannock Wildlife Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to protecting our native wildlife and its habitat in the lower Susquehanna River basin and surrounding areas. The Susquehannock Wildlife Center is the headquarters of the Society, an epicenter for local wildlife that is being built to further the mission of providing education, research, rescue, and conservation of native species and their habitat.